I knew that my boards were an inch too narrow. Why I didn’t think that would require modifications to the plans is beyond me. Actually, it’s not beyond me at all…I remain convinced that the plans don’t apply to me.
I realized, though, that I could use my leftover piece of board to create small pieces that could be glued to the big pieces to save the day. So that’s just what I did. I’ve glued an extra inch of wood anywhere I needed the 12 inch measurement. I think it’s going to be okay, but I’m never going to be a master carpenter and I very nearly glued my fingers together.
On the upside, though, there still has been no meltdown. I have remained fairly calm and may have let a baby cuss word cross my lips but nothing that would create a panic among my friends.
When I built the chicken coop, I was so worried that faulty building techniques would kill my chickens. I had already become quite attached to them, even while they were still just dreams of chickens, so the thought of my lack of skill being the cause of their demise weighed heavily on me.
Today, my chickens are thriving and I’m considering adding to my flock.
I hope bees and chickens share their willingness to live in substandard housing. The bees are already being prayed for by a group of my friends — the chickens didn’t have that advantage. As long as they don’t object to glue, I think we’ll be in good shape.